North Carolina Workers Injured on the Job Get Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Our North Carolina workers’ compensation lawyers in Statesville and elsewhere urge you to contact an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer if you are involved in a work accident in North Carolina. Job injuries can lead to lost time from work or costly medical expenses that you can’t afford. Let us relieve you of some stress by guiding you through this complex process.

Here are just a few of the many frequently-asked questions fielded by the North Carolina Industrial Commission :

-Does an employer have to provide workers’ compensation coverage?

Yes, if they have three or more employees.

-What should I do if my employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance?

You need to notify the NCIC Fraud Section and report that your employer does not have workers’ compensation insurance or approved self-insurance.

-What should I do if I am injured on the job?

Immediately report the injury to your employer both orally and in writing.

-Who directs and provides my medical treatment?

The Commission orders your employer or its insurance company to direct and provide medical treatment. The Commission needs to approve an employee’s request to change doctors prior to the change. Payments to the doctor are not guaranteed unless written permission to change physicians is obtained.

-What are the Chiropractic Rules?

Your employer can give you permission to go to a chiropractor up to 20 times for medical treatment. If more appointments are needed, your employer needs to approve them first.

-When am I eligible for lost wage compensation?

No compensation is paid for the first seven days unless the disability lasts longer than 21 days. If the disability does last longer than 21 days, then compensation for the first seven days are paid.

-How often are benefit payments made and at what rate of pay?

Usually payments are made on a weekly basis but the Commission can approve monthly payments. The rate of pay is about 67 percent of your weekly pay. For 2009, the maximum weekly pay was $816, which is adjusted annually.

-How long can I receive lost-time weekly benefits?

Current law stipulates until you are able to return to work.

-What is permanent partial disability and who determines it?

Partial or total loss of use of a member of the body or the lack of ability to earn what you did prior to the injury. The Commission decides with the assistance from the impairment ratings of doctors or proof of wage earning capacity.

-What happens if my employer refuses to acknowledge the claim?

When liability for payment of compensation is denied, the claimant, their attorney, the Commission and all health care providers will be notified of the reason for the denial. The denial form must explain in detail the exact reason for the denial of liability. You can file a “Request for Hearing” form if your claim was denied by the insurance company. You may be required to pay medical bills if the claim was deemed a non-compensable workers’ compensation claim.

Injured or disabled workers should always seek the help of a legal professional if your claim is denied. Workers’ compensation attorneys will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.

If you or someone you know is dealing with a work accident in North Carolina or needs help with a workers’ compensation or disability claim, contact the Lee Law Offices, P.A. today for a free and confidential appointment to discuss your rights. Call 1-800-887-1965.

More Blog Entries:

Long-Awaited Benefits Decision Favors Families of North Carolina Workers Injured on the Job, North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Blog, June 6, 2011

Contact Information