Virtually every employee in the every workforce is exposed to an electrical current during their daily duties. Electricity can cause of some serious work-related accidents in Greensboro and elsewhere. Electrocutions can happen to workers in almost all industries. There are a lot of workers in the U.S. who are completely oblivious to these risks, which makes them some of the most vulnerable to an accident involving electrocution.
Injuries caused by electrical current can include shocks, electrocutions (fatal), falls resulting from contact with electrical energy and burns from explosions or fires.
Our Greensboro workers' compensation lawyers understand that working with electricity can be dangerous. Not only are electricians, engineers and other professionals who work with electricity directly in danger of these kinds of accidents, but office employees who work indirectly with electrical currents can be at risk as well. For some time, electricity has been recognized as an on-the-job hazard. To help reduce these risks, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) created a number of electrical standards to be used on every work site in the country to help protect employees.
From 2003 to 2007, there were more than 28,400 workers killed on the job. Contact with some type of electrical current was the 7th leading cause of work-related deaths during this time. In these kinds of accidents, nearly 13,200 workers were injured so badly that they had to take time off of work.
Historically, construction workers have seen the largest number of these kinds of fatal work accidents. Still, workers in all kinds of settings are susceptible.
What you need to know about electricity:
-All electrical systems have the potential to hurt you.
-Electricity can be either "dynamic" or "static." Dynamic electricity is the uniform motion of electrons through a conductor. Static electricity is when electricity accumulates on a surface as a result to friction and contact with another surface.
-There can't be any electric current without an unbroken path to and from a conductor.
-When you make contact with electrical energy, the electricity can interfere with the normal electrical signals that are communicated between your brain and the rest of your body.
-High voltage contact burns can burn your body's internal tissues while leaving very little signs of injury on the exterior part of your body.
-Remember to inspect tools and power outlets before using them each time.
-Make sure you're always using the right size fuse.
-When working with electricity and using a ladder, make sure that your ladder is made of non-conducive materials or wood.
-Never work with electricity in areas that are damp or wet.
-Never use power cords that are broken or have exposed wiring.
-Make sure your tools are off before you plug them into a power supply.
-It's never a good idea to use light-duty power cords.